If you’ve seen a few of my other posts on facebook and the blog you will know I’ve been obsessed with understanding compression – but scared to try it. Mostly because I didn’t understand it and for some reason it just went WAY over my head.
I saw a friend’s post about SIGVARIS compression socks and after reading a little info I asked them if I could try a pair. When I picked them up I got a little background info and for some reason – having someone TELLING me made SO much more sense than anything I’ve ever read.
I’ll give you the cliffs notes version and then post some technical info below…
Basically your calf is called the “second heart” – chock full of veins and muscles that are supposed to push deoxygenated blood back up to the heart. When you run, gravity takes a toll on your blood and it can’t make it’s way back up to where it needs to be. Compression socks work to push it back up where it needs to be …. HOWEVER … there is one super important caveat to this.
There are two types of compression (I had NO clue). One is regular compression which is equally compressed all the way down – basically like a tube. This can dangerous because the blood can actually get trapped below where it needs to go!!! When you wear GRADUATED compression (SIGVARIS is one of the few brands that offers this!!) it is 100% compressed at the ankle and lessens as it moves up your calf. This will work the bloodflow back up to your heart and lungs where it needs to be!
When I tried the SIGVARIS Calf Sleeves for the first time I SWEAR I felt better. I felt more energized, my legs felt fresh – I just felt great. I took them on 4-5 other runs that were at least 4 miles in length (up to 13) and never got hot and I must say I did just feel fresher than other runs. I’ve run a few times without them and honestly I doubt you will ever see me running anything longer than 4-5 miles without them. (Darn now I need more pairs haha).
I haven’t run in the recovery socks yet – although they say you can because they breathe – but I have used them for recovery after long runs and my legs felt fresh as a daisy!! Sure wish I had them after my last marathon…. but hey – I have them now!! They are surprisingly comfortable and I swear my legs feel like little springs when I put on the calf sleeves or the recovery socks!! I don’t even know how to explain it better than that!!!
Oh – and yes, they even have a full brochure about wearing them during pregnancy – anyone have those swollen ankle problems??? Fortunately I didn’t – but when (if) #2 comes along, I’ll know a secret ;)
Ok – so I wont do the socks justice unless I copy/paste all the technical info on them….. so here it is:
- SIGVARIS is the global leader in graduated compression therapy and has been making medical compression products for more than 50 years. Based on this experience, the company knew it could make superior sports compression products.
- SIGVARIS Sports products all feature graduated compression, which means the compression is tightest at the ankle and gradually diminishes up the leg. The compression socks act as a layer of muscle, gently squeezing stretched vein walls. This built-in feature helps fight the force of gravity and circulate blood back to the heart more efficiently. When blood is properly circulated, it restores much-needed oxygen and nutrients to tired muscles that have been deprived during a workout. SIGVARIS Sports products help muscles regenerate more efficiently and help to remove any lactic acid that has built up.
- When shopping for athletic compression socks, keep in mind that many brands don’t actually offer the benefits of true graduated compression. With SIGVARIS Sports, you are getting a product created by a medical company with expertise in graduated compression.
- SIGVARIS Sports has three products in the Sports Line: a Performance Sock, a Performance Sleeve and the Athletic Recovery Socks.
And now here is some info about the SIGVARIS Athletic Recovery Socks that YOU are about to WIN!!!!
- Feature True Graduated Compression (15-20mmHg) from the global leader of graduated compression socks
- Feature Drirelease® and latex free yarns with an embedded Freshguard® that virtually eliminated odors.
- Promote lactic acid flush-out and relieve delayed onset muscle soreness
- You can workout in this sock, but most people wear it for four or more hours post workout to help them recover faster and not be a sore the next day.
And now for the GIVEAWAY!!! A pair of SIGVARIS Athletic Recovery Socks!! (you will LOVE them I SWEAR!) Are you ready???? ;)
Don’t forget to leave a SEPARATE comment for each that you do!
- Let us know if you’ve ever worn SIGVARIS Sports Products before and why you would like to try it!
- Visit the SIGVARIS SPORTS website (http://www.sigvaris-sports.com) and pin your favorite product (or the site in general) on pinterest. Come back here and tell us you did.
- Check out their NEW facebook page for Sigvaris Sports: SigvarisSportsUSA and “like” them and come tell us you did. (It’s worth liking; SIGVARIS gives out free items on their facebook pages from time to time!)
- Tweet your excitement about the giveaway: “Graduated Compression is where it’s at!! That’s why I want #AthleticRecoverySocks from @SportsSocks and @momsrunthistown!!”
- Share this giveaway on facebook and/or twitter using the share button below the post. Come back and leave a comment for each one you do.
GO WIN SOME AWESOME RECOVERY SOCKS!!!!!