- I don’t run, I’m a walker
- But I’m slooooow
Guess what??? You ladies are the REASON I started MRTT!!! For real!!! This isn’t a club about “fast” or “pace” or “experienced”…. It’s a club for MOTIVATION, ENCOURAGEMENT, GROWING, LEARNING… and all those things come at different skill levels and different paces. Whether you “run” a 15 min mile or “walk” a 12 min mile (yes, those terms and paces do coincide!) MRTT is here for YOU!
My background on running…
No, I haven’t always been a runner! Never in my life had I run an entire mile without stopping! Even in middle school I totally cheated my way out of the mile fit test (Sorry coach) and walked 3 laps and told him it was 4 – I was the last to finish.
When I first started running at the age of 27 (I’m 34 now) I had no clue what I was doing. I would walk until I felt I could run – then run to the next mailbox – then be out of breath so walk again and then repeat. I had no idea that what I was doing was called “intervals”. They may not have been consistent intervals (although that TOTALLY would have helped if only the concept clicked) but they were intervals. In the beginning I couldn’t run 60 feet without getting winded – my husband can totally vouch for this – I was even convinced I had arthritis in my knees because they hurt SO BAD when I would “run”. Low and behold, after doing intervals my running time got longer and walks got shorter. Before I knew it I was running an entire 5k!!! Like the WHOLE WAY. I was FLOORED. When I crossed that finish line I wanted to cry (that’s a lie – I DID cry!!)
Ok so here’s the deal….
Even if you never are able to “run a race the whole way through” and have to walk – that does NOT mean failure. Walking in a race does not mean you are any less of a runner!! I know people who can walk/run a 10k faster than some can run the whole time!! That’s not the point with our Couch to 5k program. It’s to introduce you to intervals and help you work on lengthening your run portions – and if you find a happy combination that works for you – stick with it! We want you to play with them, have fun with them, enjoy the walk breaks, and watch yourself get faster and stronger during the run portions!
Our Couch to 5k program is also to encourage walkers that they CAN interject spurts of running at ANY pace (even if it’s a shuffle) and improve race times and endurance!
So here’s what we are kicking off….
Our 12 week plan to show you what run/walk intervals can do for you. Remember all paces and skill levels can do this. If you find you are more advanced for the beginning weeks of intervals, just select a different interval suggestion or try your own!
Depending on your pace during your run/walk intervals, the mileage for each day will look something like this (this is based on an 11-12 min run pace and a 15-17 min walk pace):
Week 1: 1.25 miles
Week 2: 1.5 miles
Week 3: 1.7 miles
Week 4: 1.8 miles
Week 5: 2 miles
Week 6: 2.35 miles
Week 7: 2.45 miles
Week 8: 2.6 miles
Week 9: 2.5 miles
Week 10: 3 miles
Week 11: 2.8 miles
Week 12: 3.1 miles
Here are the rules:
- You can start this plan at ANY time
- Always remember to warm up properly. It only takes a 5 min walk to get your body ready for the run!
- If you need an extra week take one
- If you are a beginner: try to stick to the suggested number of sets. Even if you think you can do one or two more sets – just stop. There is logic behind the intervals and sets we are suggesting to prevent burnout and injury.
If you are on a “comeback” from a running hiatus: you may be able to play with the intervals a bit to fit your needs but remember less can be more sometimes so that you don’t burnout!!!
- If you find an interval you LOVE and want to just keep doing that – that’s fine too! (just be sure to increase your sets to get in the proper mileage!)
- If you fall off the bandwagon – just get back on when you can
- Listen to what your body is telling you.
For all you “Type A” or list makers….
Here are some items to do and check off.
- Join our Couch to 5k facebook group so you can encourage and motivate each other along your journey. It’s a great place to ask questions or share tips that work well for you. Click Here to join the C25k MRTT Facebook Group
- Go outside (or on the treadmill) and walk for 5 minutes as a warmup. Restart your watch (if you have a GPS reset it – if not note where you are starting). Run at a slow steady pace for as long as you can. When you feel like you just HAVE to walk stop your watch and again take note of where you finish. Write down how many minutes or seconds you could run for continuously and write down how far you ran (distance wise) in that time period.
- Print out our super cute 12 week Couch to 5k Plan
- Get an interval timer. There are tons of interval timer apps for phones (make sure you have one that allows you to set 2 intervals), some gps watches have interval settings so check the manual if you aren’t sure, or snag one of these totally snazzy Gym Boss Interval Timers. I prefer the Gym Boss personally because it’s easy to change up intervals if you need to quickly and also lets you set the number of sets.
- Pick your day to start the plan and get started!!
- Sometime in the next few weeks start looking for a 5k you can run when you finish the program. If there isn’t one in the area, pick a day and make it your own personal 5k. Plot out a 3.1 mile course and run your heart out! Be sure to time yourself and write it down so you have a baseline for your first 5k (or first 5k back at it!)
Well – one of two things (or both!!):
- Pride and sense of accomplishment
- A totally killer die cast 2″ Couch to 5k medal (the pink is GLITTER!!!) for the low low price of $10 – I mean really – you can’t even get a 5k entry fee for that price!! Click Here to order yours! You can order at any time during your 12 week journey – buy now and dangle it like a carrot in your face as motivation, or reward yourself with it when you are finished!
Check back with this page to find helpful links and resources for beginner runners! We wish you the best of luck and PLEASE check in with us and let us know how you are doing!!!!